October 13, 2013 - December 1, 2013
So I haven’t really blogged anything about my first quarter, here at the UW, but overall I have to say college is interesting.
- It is much harder than I expected to be.
- Papers on papers to write.
- I never knew how insufficient my methods for studying for math were.
- There are a lot of great people.
- It’s stressful, but there is so much freedom that it balances out.
- No parents on your case (sorta, I mean they call).
- Everyone is pretty much a friend.
- Getting involved is the best thing that I ever did.
- All the opportunities available is a hidden bonus within the tuition.
- Being social and meeting/networking with people is just amazing. You never know, how the power of knowing someone can truly be!
- Studying is still the main priority, but having a balance is the goal.
- There is so much to explore, and taking the bus to all sorts of places is truly a gift.
- At the same time, college is exhausting and can get pretty mehh, but focusing on all the good aspects.
Overall I’m sort of homesick and I miss my California friends/weather, but I couldn’t be more happier with UW and Seattle. I’ve met a lot of wonderful precious people and got to learn a lot about going into Business.
Other than that I am definitely happy! It is a complete fresh start. :)
**I really should be studying for my math final since if I fail, I might actually fail hahahahahahahaha
September 24, 2013 - October 12, 2013
- So college has been extremely busy. I mean I still have time to post pictures, but I can never really find an excellent time to blog a little bit about my day. So I hope I can try to squeeze at least like 15-20 minutes at the end of the day for this :P
- Just wanted to state in the very beginning that I am extremely happy here and I think this is the longest continuous streak of me being happy while school is still in session.
- Class Debrief!
- C LIT 240 A: “Writing in Comparative Literature” Okay, so this class meets Monday-Thursday 8:30am-9:20am. I know, I know. It sounds so horrible to take an 8:30 class, four days a week, BUT my teacher is so amazing. She’s so chill and she is genuinely excited to teach about literature and it makes me happy. The homework load isn’t as hard as AP Lit was so I am praising jesus. The class is on the idea of “Twinning”, and it’s such an interesting topic. I’m re-reading Frankenstein and I’m looking at it through a different lense, which in AP Lit the work we did for Frankenstein was harder in my opinion, and I’m just happy with the class overall. And it’s also a small class, so it’s very easy-going.
- MATH 111 B: “Algebra with Applications” This math class is the precursor to my business calculus which meets for lectures on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 10:30am-11:20am in the big lecture halls at Kane. My professor has somewhat of an accent but it is tolerable. She makes jokes here and there so she’s precious. The class is extremely graph-orientated right now which kinda makes everything frustrating, but the class itself is easy. It’s basically pre-calculus with a business approach. The homework is extremely time-consuming though :( and it’s a type of situation where you understand everything in lecture and go back to the homework later and just go “what.” So I mean it’s easy, but my math skills are just *sigh*.
- MATH 111 BA: “Algebra with Applications - Quiz Section” This is the equivalent of like an activity class that accompanies the lecture. Meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30am-10:20am. Ummmm, my TA is really nice and somewhat shy. There’s a lack of authority in the quiz section and it’s apparent. He is helpful if you ask for it but overall quiz sections are just rather indifferent for me. I feel that quiz section is just a good opportunity to ask for help, but I personally prefer going to the Math Study Center.
- AAS 101 A: “Introduction to Asian American Cultures” This class meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30am-12:20pm, so pretty much a slightly-longer block period. This class reminds me of AP Civics, except less high blood pressure inducing. I REALLY LIKE MY PROFESSOR, he knows his stuff and he is a really good public speaker. So far, however, it is definitely not an easy cake-walk of a class. There is a lot of reading, and the ideas behind Asian American history are actually really complex and I never really though it would be. I am certainly learning a lot. I feel guilty when I’m tired in this class though! But yeah I recommend this class, and it counts for “W” credit, so wooohooo!
- AAS 101 AF: “Introduction to Asian American Cultures - Quiz Section” This quiz section just meets only on Fridays at 11:30am-12:20pm, and is my last class for the school week. Quiz section is pretty much where all the homework is due in the course, and my TA is really precious too. I like her goals for the class and how easy it is to talk to her. Quiz section is pretty much a discussion of the lecture to make sure we are getting most of the ideas that are presented. I enjoy this, I think my classmates are easy to talk to.
- GEN ST 197 O: “Travel Writing for Student Travelers” This is a freshmen seminar, only one credit, once a week, Wednesdays from 11:30am-12:20pm. I enjoy this class a lot. Our only homework so far is to research any study abroad programs we want to, and we pretty much talk about studying abroad and traveling for the whole period. Very easy and enjoyable. All my classmates in this class are also extremely easy to like and chill to talk to.
- GEN ST 199 I4: “The University Community” This is my Freshman Interest Group or FIG, and I really like it so far. It’s a two credit course, but it only meets Mondays from 1:30pm-2:20pm. I met study buddies fast, since everyone in this class is in my Math Lecture and Quiz Section, so I definitely got to bond with everyone over how much our homework sucks and how we suck at it. But it’s all for a good cause! It feels like a club meeting with occasional assignments due. It reminds me of SC’s Freshmen Foundations, but I remember taking that back in freshman year and considering that to be a huge waste of time since we didn’t do anything but make powerpoints and learn why stereotypes are bad lolol. Maybe it’s because I like UW too much.
September 23, 2013
- I woke up late to go exercise with Susan and the others. I felt so bad, omg I overslept by a whole hour. I woke up all confused around 9am, and I could feel the cold chill of the morning, along with the sounds of the busy streets outside.
- Fortunately, Susan wasn’t mad, so all good. Got dressed and ready and decided to meet up with them at the District Market under.
- Eating my poppyseed muffin, I was just chilling pretty much. Saw Kevin and asked him where he was going and found out he was going to an Internship/Job thing for Dawg Daze. Well, all good. Hopefully, Kevin can tell me how it went though! Since I decided I wasn’t going to go anymore.
- Saw Elena, Susan, Andre, and Jason. We were deciding between Elm and the IMA to go to, but we first decided to go to Elm. Unfortunately, Elm isn’t open until 1pm. Oops.
- Then all of us took a bus ride to the IMA. I didn’t even know we could. Got off pretty early, and it was kind of sprinkling.
- The cycling game I went on with Elena and Susan was actually really fun… haha this is is so weird since I never exercise.
- Headed downstairs of the IMA to find Andre and Jason, but also found their neat dance studio. Afterwards tried to lift some weights, idk how successful I was haha.
- Then I ended up heading back to the Ave with Andre and Jason. After dropping them off at their apartment, I went to go pick up the C LIT 240 books at the bookstore. Ugh so expensive!
- Got TeaRepublik, my new favorite, and headed back to Alder. Turns out Lina, Nina, Susan, Elena, and Yasi were already there! Yay. but I ended up getting a nosebleed. GG.
- Took the bus to downtown and went to Target to look for slippers, towels, and rugs. Got some towels and rugs, and glad I bough them then instead of later at Fred Meyer.
- We ended up going to Nordstrom Rack, and I managed to find my slippers, and ended up buying a watch, lololol my bad. I spent so much money! But no regrets.
- Headed to International Chinatown and didn’t really find what I was looking for at Daiso, so we just chilled at Uwajimaya.
- Boarded the bus back and made it back to Alder around 6:30pm, found out there was going to be a floor thing in which we all were going to line up at the flagpole to go to Fred Meyer together.
- Met a great new friend named Jason P. in-line! Haha, found out he lives in Terry. So I will probably chill with him at some point. Anyways, in-line after Vickie left to go back to Elm, Lina, Nina, Elena, Susan, Yasi, Rangsey, Andre, and Jason all met up and we found there was another bus going to Fred Meyer, so we all took the chance. Jason P. and his other friends tagged along, and I just can’t get over how chill people are over here.
- The bus ride was a little tiring, but after we arrived at our bus stop, I thought oh shit. Lol, it was in some sketchy neighborhood with some dimly lit lights. Ran sorta downhill with Jason P. and holy crap it was horrifically tiring.
- Fred Meyer was the craziest college night (at a sober level lol) ever.
- Probably overexaggerating myself, but all good. After I bought all my stuff with Elena, I went back to find Lina, Jason, and Andre. Then I went over to complain to Yasi and Rangsey about the lack of free corndogs. So sad.
- After everyone was done, I realized I lost my wallet, and my heart seriously dropped a second, but then someone turned it into customer service, god bless strangers of Seattle.
- I realized my HuskyCard wasn’t in there, but all good. I was trying to keep calm. Andre helped me carry a bag, and I was so grateful. The girls all headed back to north campus, while me and the guys went to West. Andre and Jason helped pack shit in my dorm, and I can’t get over how grateful I am lolol. Seriously though.
- Everyone probably thinks I’m overdoing it, but I am seriously so happy with how everyone is and all the support. These people are so legit, I can’t even.
September 22, 2013
- Sunday was a great day, for the most part.
- The morning began with me waking up late for Freshman Convocation in the Alaska Airlines Arena.
- Overall, it was great. I liked how they attempted to make the speech more interesting and especially the shout-out to California students with “what’s up dude.” lololol
- The picnic was good, the portabello mushrooms were really good along with the meat. I won a free book on UW’s architecture/campus and got it signed by the president. Took a picture with him as well, and got his autograph.
- The rain started pouring at this point, I said Hi to the two families sitting by my side, and I got to say Hi to Felix’s family and Mark’s family.
- After that, I decided to use my jacket to cover the book and hopefully make it in time for Husky Kick-Off.
- However, upon reaching Schmitz Hall, I realized that I didnt’ have my keys, and I also wanted to pee really badly… so I had the decision to either go back to Drumheller/Rainier Vista or keep walking toward my dorm.
- Ultimately, I decided to walk back to my dorm, all the way to Terry Hall located further down from my dorm in the pouring rain.
- Going through it x100.
- Some beautiful soul turned in my keys to Terry and I was sooooooooooo happy. Like extremely overjoyed.
- Ended up making it to Husky Kick-Off in time. Overall, it was okay. It felt like any other orientation thing I have been to, typical icebreakers and ultimate rock-paper-scissors.
- I met my FIG. So far they all seem pretty down-to-earth and chill. I love my FIG leader haha. He’s really funny and straight-up honest.
- After that I met up with Lina, and met Nina for the first time. She’s so great. Then saw Elena for the first time in so many days! Yay! Also, saw Susan from Friday, haha she’s so much fun.
- After that I met up with Andre for the first time, and saw their friend Hai. precious, precious. Andre took off with Elena and Hai, and Susan, Nina, Lina, and I just began to walk to the Ave.
- The sun was coming out and it was straight up beautiful.
- Overall, it was a great bonding experience. I love them all so much, I can’t even.
- Ended up eating Korean BBQ with them at Greenhouse, not bad for its price!
- Later met up with Andre and met his roommate Jason for the first time, pretty chill guy.
- Ended up going to Oasis in Chinatown with them, and it was my “First Official Night Out”, haha. Yay, good company and good tea my two favorite things.
- Took the bus back, and parted ways. Jason, Andre, and I got off at the West Campus stop, so said bye to all the girls, and bye to them and pretty much called it a night.
- But then I realized I had laundry, so I ended up not sleeping til 5am. oops.
September 21, 2013
- Woke up to the sounds of my phone ringing from my Mom and my Dad. Both took turns calling me every hour. Oh how I miss them. I should definitely give them a call, especially my Mom, in the morning.
- Made a mini-list in my head to go to certain Dawg Daze tours, but got ready an hour early. Went to Husky Grind and got an Iced Latte, and went to UW to just walk around.
- Went to Drumheller and it was a beautiful people. Didn’t realize it was Game Day, but I saw a bunch of people heading somewhere, turns out the score was 56-0 against Boise State, so pretty much a total win. Go Huskies!
- Just chilling by the fountain and near the beautiful Aeronautics/Astronautics building when this bee decides to land on my latte’s straw and shittttttt was I traumatized. LOL
- Decided to stand up and wait for the bee to disappear, but it didn’t. Vickie came by all of a sudden (omg perfect timing love this girl), and I hung out with her friends Felix and Jonathan. They are so precious.
- We got lost trying to find the Intramural Activities place, or the I.M.A., we found the Stadium though LOL. Eventually we found it, and there was a lot of stair walking, boo.
- Jonathan’s ID didn’t work and I waited for him and then I got split up from Vickie and Felix. Eventually I found them, and we all went to go eat in the Husky Union Building, HUB, and I just bought iced tea and juice. Well turns out nobody like their food and I thought mine went pretty okay! Haha.
- Anyways, I walked back to the dorms with them, turns out Felix and I were both in Alder, haha.
- So I went back to my dorm for a little bit, then went to the District Market, saw Doug from the other night. Ended up getting a soup, sandwich, chips, and green tea.
- Couldn’t even finish the soup since it was so much (it was only a medium) and couldnt finish the chips either. I only ate the sandwich pretty much and most of my soup. Saved the green tea and chips for later.
- Ended up taking a nap for an hour afterwards. Vickie and Kevin came to my dorm and we walked out to Comedy Night together at Meany.
- Long line, but whatever, got pretty decent seats. The acts were both really funny, one guy interrupted the first guy’s act and the comedian got really upset and it was just funny the whole situation. I love the second comedian’s voice too LOL.
- Went over the HUB for free breakfast and late night games and stuff. The cereal’s milk got into some of my Dawg Daze tag how sad…
- Ended up not doing too much at the HUB and waited for the Quad Flicks to be shown at this mini-gym place called something I forgot. I’m just pointing that out because it looks nicer than SCHS’ gym, haha.
- This Is The End was playing and was definitely fun to watch again, and then Kevin, Vickie, and I walked back to the West Side and dropped Vickie off at Elm, then Kevin and I went back to Alder.
- Said bye to Kevin, and just went back to my dorm, drank my tea and ate my chips LOL and called it a night!
- Overall, it was a good day. I just wish I could meet more people :P
September 19 - 20, 2013
- I spent the majority of Thursday physically moving into my new dorm.
- Overall, I was very impressed with the dorm and how nice it is!
- I only got to talk to Kevin for a few minutes before he was off to California. Awws.
- Then I spent the rest of the night with my Dad and some final bits of advice.
- Finishing the last little bits of moving-in with my Dad today. Got into some minor fights due to me just wanting to be done with moving, but they were quickly resolved.
- I realize I get too irritated being nagged for so long.
- Ate lunch with my Dad at University Teriyaki… it was alright. There was a difficult lady in front of us and she took like 15 minutes asking questions… lol
- Went back with my to dorm and he had to leave for his boat show and then the airport. Sad. I really miss my Dad.
- Prior to this I bought chalk so I decided to decorate my outside chalkboard, ended up talking with my RA, Allison, and other floormates Charlie and Jordyn. They’re all so chill.
- After lunch I met up with precious Lina and Wendy at Red Square… reunited!!! Then met up with Lina’s friends (Yasi, Rangsey, and Susan *yay I remembered*) and went to Chinatown with all of them.
- Got a shitload of tea and pocky!! :’)
- Tried Oasis Milk Tea for the first time… acceptable!
- Then after that we took the bus and got dropped off at Alder and went to my dorm and just changed to go our 4th floor meeting.
- Came a little early, there was a few people there. Allison and the other RA gave another speech, and then I met a few other people. By this time it was 6:45 and we were supposed to meet up at the 2nd floor lounge to go to Quad Flicks tonight.
- Went to the Husky Grind Cafe in the District Market under my dorm to kill some time. Unfortunately, it rained right at this hour so no quad flicks.
- We went inside the Alder Auditorium where they attempted to show us Contagion on the HBO Go thing, but turns out no sound, lololol. All good, I was keeping positive.
- Then someone walked in and sat next to me, and turns out he’s from the Bay Area, and went to St. Francis. His name is Mark and he doesn’t live too faraway from me in my hall.
- Mark and I ended up getting really bored during the movie so we went out on the Ave and just chilled a little bit. Had a good talk about life and stuff, and he had to go leave to help his friend move-in.
- Okay, so it was almost 9:30 at this point, and my RA told us to meet up at the lounge for the Midnight Carnival. So I went into the lounge and met up with Chris, Doug, Tom (I hope these are right), who are kinda my floormates/neighbors. Bumped into Vicky at the minute *thank you jesus* and decided to meet up with her last minute.
- Walked to Midnight Carnival with Chris, Doug, Tom and the rain stopped. Perfect timing haha. It was pretty intense, I could hear the music and the excitement for free food.
- Ended up playing a ball toss game with Chris, Doug, and Tom and totally sucked. At some point got separated from them and went to go look for Vicky. She eventually found me in the popcorn line, yay no more being lonely. Lina and Wendy decided not to go to the carnival so I was pretty lonely at first.
- Got to chill with Vicky, Kevin, and her roommates. Ended up dancing a little bit in front of Suzzallo.
- After that we got tired so we went back to West Campus, Vicky and her roommates headed back to Elm and I went with Kevin to Alder, and I found out our rooms are pretty close. Kevin and I met up and walked over to Elm, contemplating if the ID cards would work lololol, all good.
- Met up with his other friend Cupertino named Jon? Watched a LoL game and I had no what was going on. All good! It was chill. It was cool getting to know them, and then after a bit I went back to Alder with Kevin and called it a day.
- Overall, today had it’s ups and downs, but everyone is so nice! I think there is already a bubble from the Early Fall Start program so it’s a little hard to get to know some people, but we’ll see.
- I wonder what tomorrow will be like.
September 18, 2013
So today is my first day in Seattle, but tomorrow will be more “official”, as I’ll be moving in by tomorrow. I am soooooo excited.
Anyways, I’m going to hopefully begin a “photo journal” or a fancy term for my new collection of photos of my college life in Seattle.
I will write more or less about my days on this blog and post pictures on my side blog.
You can view all the photos on my side blog: ericjwchen.tumblr.com
I honestly hope I can continue this… LOL
September 13 - 17, 2013
What a pleasant last week it has been.
Besides getting into some small guilt-induced fights with my parents, I have definitely never felt so loved in a long time.
Thank you to all my friends and my co-workers.
And to all my underclassmen, frequent customers, and all the wonderful people I buy food from in Rivermark.
Even my boss, so thoughtful.
Today is my last full day in California.
September 10 - 12, 2013
- Not much these past few days. Just work, and I’m sorta getting depressed that I’m not going to see Cam, Andy, Jenny, Maily, and Carmen on a weekly basis anymore…
- Honestly, I think the actual reason why I’m getting sad about Fantasia is the fact that some trick out of nowhere is working at Fantasia and I’m really indifferent about it.
- It’s like an invasion of my little bubble of safety and happiness. I’m fine with my other co-workers, but this one particular trick… no,no,no.
- I don’t believe that I have a good reason to be irritated with the fact that the trick works there, but whatever.
- This brings me to the point, where I realized that I am such a bitch. I haven’t been annoyed by so many customers recently, and I think to myself, “have people been this annoying for a while?”, but I think it’s just me. I feel that I’m getting cold-blooded, lol. No more amnesty towards customers, no more laughing at their obnoxious jokes, and no longer sympathetic about the cash-only / stampcard expiration policy.
- Though I want to blame it on that one customer for calling me a marshmallow. Fuck that immature, ill-mannered, and indecent lady.
- In college, I honestly want to be less of a bitch, and more or less, less sarcastic. But I don’t think that’s possible… but I will try. I want to avoid drama, but sometimes I just have this powerful urge to speak my own opinion. But I will make an effort to be a sweet angel.
- I want to thank my friends for making an honest effort in hanging out with me. Thank you to Kristy for coming to Fantasia and spending time with me and asking me on the daily to hangout with me, thank you to Star for entertaining me and being readily available when I want to hangout too, thank you to Lindsay for visiting me all the time at Fantasia and spending time with me in general, even though I know you busy, and of course Estelle. I know I don’t see you that often, but seeing you on Wednesday made me really happy and I appreciate your company. Thank you to Yevgeny too, I feel that I haven’t seen you in weeks, but I hope all the academics is going well.
- Thank you to Kiran for always asking to hangout too, and always waking me up from my naps. Thank you Briana for dropping by after work and keeping me company on those slow nights at Fantasia, and thank you Victoria for coming down from SF to see me. Thank you to Jelissa/Jessica for spending your outdoors time with me too.
- Thank you to my underclassmen, Gabe, Shanita, Russell for visiting me at work too. <3
- Thank you to my RYLA friends too, I love you guys to death. Winter Reunion?!?
- I’m full of emotions.
September 9, 2013
- I have 6 days until my last shift at Fantasia
- I have 8 days left of my summer in California
- I have 15 days until my first day of college
- Where did the time go?
August 22, 2013 - September 8, 2013
- Nothing much. Just a repetition of work and hanging out with friends. Also got to see some of my Interact friends and celebrate Ally Day.
- Spent a lot of quality time with friends.
- Relationship with my parents has been steady.
- Wisdom teeth aftermath.
- I am getting lazy with these summer updates… I apologize.
August 20, 2013 - August 21, 2013
- Yesterday was a rough day/night.
- Today, some of my best friends started college T.T
- Crying because it felt like meeting them seven years ago was only two or three.